Themes, symbols, and motifs
come alive when you use a storyboard. The theme provides a moral to the story and is the central idea behind the text. Through analyzing themes, students can delve deeper into the text’s meaning and apply the moral to their own lives. In this activity, students will identify a theme of Diary of a Wimpy Kid
and support it with evidence from the text.
Example Theme and Support from Text
- “I’ve been trying to be a lot more careful about my image ever since I got to middle school. But having Rowley around is definitely not helping.”
- “…I realized getting elected Treasurer could TOTALLY change my situation at school.”
- “So here’s what I’m thinking: This school year has been kind of a bust, but if I can get voted as Class Favorite, I’ll go out on a high note.”
Additional themes are courage, loyalty, friendship, and family.
Create a storyboard that identifies recurring themes in Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Illustrate instances of each theme and write a short description below each cell.
- Click "Start Assignment".
- Identify the theme(s) from Diary of a Wimpy Kid you wish to include and replace the "Theme 1" text.
- Create an image for examples that represents this theme.
- Write a description of each of the examples.
- Save often!
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual or Partner
Type of Activity: Themes, Symbols & Motifs
Common Core Standards
[ELA-Literacy/RL/5/2] Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
Create a storyboard that identifies themes in the story. Illustrate examples of each theme and write a short description below each cell.
| || Proficient || Emerging || Beginning |
All themes are correctly identified and described.
Some themes are correctly identified.
No themes are correctly identified.
All examples support the identified theme(s).
Most examples fit the identified theme(s).
Most examples do not fit the theme(s).
Images clearly show connection with the theme(s).
Some images help to show the theme.
Images do not help in understanding the theme.
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.