There are many books related to immigration that can help students better visualize and understand the history of immigrants and their experiences. Some short picture books can be used as a whole class read-alouds, where other longer books can be used as longer novel studies. In this activity, students will create a plot summary of a book using visuals and descriptions.
The book used for this activity’s example is Fiona’s Lace by Patricia Polacco.
The following are suggestions for literature related to immigration:
- Dreaming of America: An Ellis Island Story by Eve Bunting
- How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story by Eve Bunting
- When Jessie Came Across the Sea by Amy Hest
- I Hate English! by Ellen Levine
- Watch the Stars Come Out by Riki Levinson
- The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
- Grandfather’s Journey by Allen Say
- The Memory Coat by Elvira Woodruff
Objective: Summarize the story in a 6-8 cell storyboard. Be sure to describe the main events in the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
- Read the story.
- Using the provided template, create a 6-8 cell storyboard with descriptions and illustrations showing the sequence of major events in the story.
- Save and submit your storyboard.
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-6
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Plot Diagrams and Narrative Arcs
Common Core Standards
[ELA-Literacy/W/4/2] Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
[ELA-Literacy/RI/4/3] Explain events, procedures, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text, including what happened and why, based on specific information in the text.
[ELA-Literacy/RI/4/7] Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (e.g., in charts, graphs, diagrams, time lines, animations, or interactive elements on Web pages) and explain how the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
Free for Commercial Use / No Attribution Required (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0)
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.